Saturday, April 19, 2014

Briar Rose 6-point Star Quilt Top

Happy Easter weekend! After having the chance last weekend to travel and see a bunch of family in Portland, OR at my sister-in-law's wedding (it was beautiful, sunny, and lots of fun), we're taking it easy this weekend and staying close to home. We have dinner planned for tomorrow--the traditional ham with scalloped potatoes and asparagus--but other than that, just lots of time to relax and enjoy a break together.

I thought I might also drop in today with a quick post about a recent quilt top finish. I haven't had the chance to share it here yet, although you may have seen this on Instagram. Late last summer, I began working on an all EPP quilt top using Rachel's 6-point star templates. After having the chance to use these templates for a couple bee blocks in 2012 (I posted about mine here), I knew that I wanted to make an entire quilt with them--most likely in bright, saturated colors. After winning the perfect fabric for this project in a giveaway, a fat eighth bundle of Briar Rose by Heather Ross from Westwood Acre, I decided to pick some solids and get started.

  Briar Rose 6-Point Star Quilt

This was a long-term project for sure. I hand sewed this off and on for about 6 months, taking my time so as to NOT end up with too sore of hands or too many holes in my fingers. ;) The most challenging part of this project was wrangling the larger sewed-together sections of blocks into the finished top, which is about 66"x 56". I could have used an extra arm during that process, but was glad I had my trusty Clover clips to help instead. All in all though, it was a really fun and meditative quilt to work on. I brought the pieces with me everywhere, which started some fun conversations and even allowed me to share my creative side with my co-workers at lunch.

Briar Rose 6-Point Star Quilt

I do have one note about an issue I ran into with this project and I thought I might share in case it would help anyone embarking on a similar project. To finish the edge of my quilt top, I cut partial diamonds to fill in around the hexagon-shaped blocks. This worked really well, but in hindsight, I should have taken extra care when sewing these partial components together at the very edges of the top and left their fabric flaps open on the outside edge of the quilt rather than wrapped (if that makes sense). When it came time to press the fabric out around the outside of the quilt top to trim it and prepare for basting, I had some issues with the fabric being sewn together in such a way that I couldn't evenly press it open. It necessitated taking the seams back and re-sewing them in a few small places, which wasn't a ton of work, just kind of tedious.

Just in case anyone is interested, after googling how to fix this issue, I found a great EPP resource from the Lizard of Oz that was really helpful to me. There is a wonderful section in this doc about how to finish the edge of your quilt using several different methods. It also explains the issue I ran into with this project in case my description is a little unclear on how to avoid it.

Anyways, I still have two sides of the quilt to finish the re-sewing process on before I can completely square it up and get it ready to quilt, but I am really excited to finish this soon.

Quilt Notes:

-  Pattern: 6-point Star Template by Rachel of Stitched in Color
-  Size: 66" x 56"
- Fabrics: Briar Rose by Heather Ross; Michael Miller Cotton Couture in Lipstick, Venus, and Limeade; Moda Bella Solids in Clementine, Pistachio, and Mustard; Kona Solids in Clover and Palm.


8 comments :

  1. Oooh, it's gorgeous, love all the saturated colours :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Can't wait to see how you end up quilting it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this is beautiful! I am struggling to finish an EPP quilt block so I have great respect for anyone who manages an entire quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh it's so lovely Jenelle - this might just be my summer project - I love EPP but first I have to finish my hexies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous! Perfectly bright and I will check out that resource, thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful, Jenelle! Mmm.. makes be doubly glad that I'm starting a new EPP project today =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so beautiful!! Congrats on a big finish!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. so very pretty. I never did get my hands on that fabric : (

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave me a comment. I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...