Saturday, January 5, 2013

January Goal {A Lovely Year of Finishes}

A Lovely Year of Finishes 
I'm participating this year in a brand new link-up party being jointly hosted by Shanna of Fiber of All Sorts and Melissa of Bittersweet Designs. The plan is that each month this year, I'm going to really focus on finishing just one thing. It can be anything really and to any degree of completion, so I'm going to use this link-up to help motivate me to complete some of those perpetual WIP's that I really need to get a handle on. 

Swoon Block #1

This month I'm going to tackle a few more blocks for my in-progress Hope Valley Swoon quilt. I started this project last summer, but haven't really had time to pick it back up again since (with the exception of some fabric cutting). My goal for this month is to finish four more blocks to add to the one that I finished previously. That'll just leave four left to sew to complete the quilt top. 

Hope Valley Fabric for Swoon Quilt

I'm also considering quilting this project using a QAYG method due to the size of the finished quilt top and blocks, so my other piece of homework this month will be to research the best ways to do this and whether or not it will work better for me than quilting it as a whole. Have you ever quilted a quilt by the block versus the traditional way? Impart your wisdom to me! : )

17 comments :

  1. I have only done the traditional way. I did one block for my guild as quilt as you go and that was pretty fun, but the blocks haven't been put into a quilt yet.. It will be interesting to figure that one out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with that! I've only QAYG'ed small projects, sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There were a few people in the Swooning on a hop along group on flickr who were doing QAYG - there may have been a thread about it but I just searched the discussions for QAYG:
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/1904864@N22/discuss/72157628817076539/?search=qayg

    ReplyDelete
  4. As the quilt has sashing, it would be ideal for one of the QAYG methods that joins using a top and bottom finishing/sashing strip. All the methods seems to have some degree of fiddle/faddle (technical term there!) with options for both hand and machine finishing. A bit like machine sewn binding - the machine methods rely heavily on skill or luck (and can look a bit dodgy on the back), while the hand methods create a tidier finish, but take much longer. But with 9 blocks... it is probably the most ideal way of tackling it - and now that I've blatted on about it, I may have even convinced myself that this could be the way to go. Are you planning FMQ or straight line? I've always loved the straight line look but would hesitate to tackle such a large project...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am still working on my Swoon and I plan to QAYG. Since mine is going to be a King and I don't care how the back looks once it is on the bed, I am using this tute. http://www.stitchedincolor.com/2011/06/bottled-rainbows-piecing-adding-borders.html

    Then I am going to stitch in the ditch to join the back on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. your swoon is going to be gorgeous, hope valley really was one of Denyse's best. I haven't tried qasyg myself, but bi agree that it could be the best way to tackle this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ohhh what a great idea for quilting something of this size... i'd be curious to see what you come up with! I'm still yet to even try the method so no advice.. sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll be interested to see what you end up doing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the Hope Valley line and paired with this block it will be gorgeous! Have not done QAYG- it is on my list to learn this year. Seems like a great idea here, can't wait to see your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this party, great motivation to get things done (finally)! So I'm in and I can't wait to see how your quilt comes out. I've always wanted to try QAYG and am curious to see what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's going to be such a beautiful quilt Jenelle - I think I had better link up to this too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm anxious to hear your learnings on quilting as you go! I haven't tried it but I'm always frustrated by the quilting part of quilting (mostly due to size) and have thought that would be a good method to try!

    Good luck with your goal!

    PS - I always love seeing how you combine fabrics. You're a master :).

    ReplyDelete
  13. All I've managed so far is a single Swoon block made into a mini quilt. I have no idea how I would approach quilting the full size one. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good luck on making your four blocks. That's going to be a very pretty quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a perfect pattern for this fabric! I can't wait to see your finished quilt.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave me a comment. I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...