Tuesday, January 22, 2013

A Pick Me Up

That last few days, since we chatted on Thursday, have been kinda challenging for me. In addition to having some problems with my Google Reader and a hacked blog* (not mine fortunately), I was also stationary on my couch for the better part of the weekend. I injured my foot a few weeks ago while hiking and it hadn't been healing very well. After visiting my doctor last week for allergy testing, she told me that my injury was more serious than I originally thought and ordered me to stay off it for a while. I'm not very good at being "sick", so the whole not moving part has been tough. The silver lining is that I've been able to make a pretty good dent in my Fusion Crochet Blanket while resting up. I have a glorious stack of 20 blocks finished and I'll take some photos to share soon. : )

Gift Exchange with Marta

After logging some serious couch time over the weekend, I was struck by how comforting it is to be surrounded by all the handmade things I have in my home, some of which I've made and some that others have made for me. I recently did a fun swap with my friend Marta over the holidays and having her bright and colorful pillow right next to me while I was doing my best to take it easy really helped to cheer me up. 

Gift Exchange with Marta

I absolutely cherish the handmade items that others have gifted me, and as a maker I understand and value the time and skill that goes into each item. Just looking at Marta's gorgeous free-motion quilting made me feel inspired to practice my own skills more. 

Gift Exchange with Marta

Marta also included some other fun goodies in the package that were each so thoughtfully made and selected--fabric and wine, what else do you need? ; ) I really love the wine bag she made with the natural linen and pops of fun print. I think I might need to appropriate it for my sewing room and use it to hold perle cotton balls since it's really too beautiful to not use everyday. 

Gift Exchange with Marta

What handmade items do you have in your home that you especially cherish and love? I'm always struck by the hypothetical question "what would you save from a house fire?" and for me, after my husband and our cat, it would be those handmade quilts and gifts that I would save (and probably my laptop too!). ; )

----------------------------------------------------------------------

*I did want to come back to the Google Reader issue in case anyone else has been struggling with this too. I was following a blog via GFC that shut down a few months ago. Within the last few weeks, it was hacked and I have been receiving about 10 feeds a day of just spam. Because of all of the issues with GFC and not being able to access the menu to manage my subscriptions, I couldn't drop the blog. Not too long after, the hacked blog started triggering the "malicious content" warning from my browser, effectively making it impossible for me to access my Google Reader feed. Long story short, I haven't been able to follow along and comment as much as I like on other blogs. I finally found a work-around last night, but it required me to unsubscribe to almost all the blogs I follow and then selectively resubscribe again. I read around 250 blogs (yup!), so it was quite a chunk of time to manually do that. Has anyone else run into this issue before? It does seem as though Google has stopped offering support for GFC and that it's being gradually phased out. 
Pin It

14 comments:

  1. I had that happen once and when the post/s opened you could see for a split second the "original" blog name so you could go directly to it and unsubscribe. The blogs are getting "hacked" by a new to them follower who has some code linked to their profile. I have also had to delete and block a follower a few months ago when someone alerted me to my blog redirecting to an inapropiate site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I spent about an hour unsubscribing from blogs I no longer read, only to have them still all in my Reader!! So I empathise with your frustrations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no, I hope your foot gets better faster now that you're staying off it!

    I'm sorry -- I don't have any experience with GFC (I subscribe to blogs directly through google reader). At least it gave you something to do while on bed rest...? :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry about the injury, I know all about that one, I've spent over 6 years of my life on crutches or in splints/slings/plaster, it's all rather frustrating! Hope it feels much better soon.

    Sorry, not had the GFC problem, but I do regularly clear out ones from my blog list from people that have stopped posting (I have around 300 o.O )

    ReplyDelete
  5. The GFC thing infuriates me. I haven't had the hacked blog problem that you did (knock on wood), but I have found it impossible to unsubscribe to certain blogs if they no longer have the GFC widget on their blog. Google: either offer support for the darn thing or eliminate it entirely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry about your foot! I have not had the hacked blog problem, but have been unable to unsubscribe to some blogs and get a warning about the content on others. I have read (and seen) a couple of bloggers moving from the Blogger platform to WordPress and they mentioned that there were changes coming to Blogger and GFC was going away but I thought the move was possibly prompted by other capabilities they were interested in on Wordpress. So frustrating.... enough to make you want to have a glass of that wine you have ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have not had any GFC problems, put I am hearing a lot about it espeical downloading photos. I hope your foot will be better soon, I am just getting over knee surgery and go in to see the doctor tomorrow. Get well soon, need that foot for sewing peddle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, get well soon! It's so tough to stay still and take a break when told to, isn't it. It sounds so enticing when you're busy and we long for it, but once someone orders you..

    What to save? Definitely some handmade items and photos after my husband and the most important document folders. Reminds me that I have to bring those up to date..

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're such a sweetie pie awesome blog friend!! xo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well I wondered why you followed along again. So sorry to hear things haven't been going great for you and wish you a speedy recovery Jenelle. I'm sure Marta's makes must have cheered you up as they are so beautiful! Take care xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I too can relate to loving handmade items most. In fact, my little clothesline of quilts are all swaps/gifts, and I love to look at them! It is special that someone would put such lovely work into something they're giving away.

    On a more technical note, I thought I'd let everyone know there is a way to unsubscribe from GFC without going to the blog you signed up on, as long as you have a blogger dashboard. Just go to the reading list and click on settings (it looks like a little gear next to the words "view in google reader" on the right). The next page will show all the blogs you're following with GFC, just click "manage" (you may have to sign in and such again), and then "stop following this site" and you're done! Hope that helps! (and sorry for leaving such a long comment!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes! That was the menu that I couldn't get to open for me. I constantly get an error message each time I attempt to access it. I notified Google, but haven't heard back yet. :(

      Delete
  12. Google is just stupid sometimes. Or all the times. Haven't quite decided.

    Love your pillow there. You have a great friend to give that baby away!

    Hope your foot gets better soon. I would hate to be couch-ridden!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope things are looking up!! I have a hard time sitting still too but nothing heals like rest!! Take care of yourself and feel better. I imagine being surrounded by all of those handmade beauties helps! That pillow is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave me a comment. I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...