Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Crochet + Fabric + Jane Austen

What do you get when you combine crochet, some charm squares, and an evening of watching the latest BBC adaptation of your favorite Jane Austen novel (love Sally Hawkins btw!)? Pure bliss and the beginnings of a fusion crochet blanket.
Image Source
I know that it almost goes without saying, but I'm convinced that there is definitely something to watching English period dramas while hand-stitching. ; ) It's like peanut butter and jelly--they just go together. 

Fusion Crochet Blanket

You may at this point also be wondering what the heck is a fusion crochet blanket? Well it's the perfect combination of fabric and crocheting (perfect much like before-mentioned delicious sandwich). ; ) You start with charm squares sewn back-to-back, add a little blanket-stitched edge, and crochet to join. It makes for a fun and varied project that is perfect for quilters-who-like-to-crochet or crocheters-who-like-to-sew.

Photo by Heidi of Sewing Daisies
I'm working off a pattern created by the very talented Heidi of Sewing Daisies. There are actually a few of her fantastic tutorials and patterns that I find I must make for myself (like this one), so I decided to get started with this fairly simple project to ease back into crocheting. I  actually first heard about this pattern (and Heidi) through the Fusion Blanket Crochet Along, hosted this past summer at Little Miss Shabby. I couldn't join in at the time, but I did bookmark all of the posts and the pattern of course so that I could return to it later. Now that it's getting colder, it seemed like the right time to break out my charm packs of Domestic Bliss and get to crocheting. I find that I always need a little bit of hand work to do in the evenings and this fits the bill nicely. It's a slow process for sure, but I like the calm rhythm of slow work, especially to relax. 

 Fusion Crochet Blanket

Linking up with Diane:

from blank pages... linky party

14 comments :

  1. What a fun project! I haven't seen these fusion blankets before but now I have another reason to try to figure out how to crochet! I'll have to see if I can find any knit examples. I have loads of charm squares.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenelle, this just looks incredibly cool. I will definitely be attempting this one soon! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks fantastic - you're making me want to attempt crochet again (the previous effort was accompanied by quite a few choice swear words ;o) ).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this looks awesome! I'm bookmarking for when I finally learn to crochet...it's going to happen...really....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that's my kind of crochet - your blanket is beautiful, and yea for BBC period dramas!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant idea. I have just got into crochet and to mix fabric and crochet is a great idea. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Be still my heart! I just love this project, there is something so old fashioned about it. I too am addicted to period dramas and handwork :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a fantastic idea! Well, I should say those are fantastic ideas - handstitching+period dramas, and the fusion crochet blanket. That might need to go on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like fun, although I have to admit I fell out with Jane Austen as a schoolgirl and have never quite got over it ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! How did you get your blanket stitches so perfectly spaced?!!! It looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have to agree on both the movie choice (I already have my copy loaded to work on projects tomorrow actually) and your fantastically spaced blanket stitches! I actually picked up this charm pack randomly and I haven't been able to figure out what to do, btu now you have given me a great idea! Thanks for sharing,(even though I popped over at t later date, its still so fun to see!).
    Shanna
    ssparrowinflight {at} GMAIL(dot)COM

    ReplyDelete
  12. These charm squares are adorable. I've just got my crochet needles out of hiding this winter too. I've made a couple scarves but I think these would make great for pillows! Thanks for the link to tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The fusion blanket is so beautiful, I fell in love with it the moment I saw it.
    leena

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave me a comment. I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...