I realized that I had never written up a proper blog post to talk about my progress with the My Precious Quilt Along. After finishing my Sunglow Loulouthi HST quilt top for the first round of the QAL, I decided to tackle a quilt pattern that I had been wanting to make for a while, Camille Roskelley's Swoon. I wanted to make this quilt using my stash of Hope Valley to give it a bright, vintage look. Since each block in the Swoon quilt calls for two FQ's, I paired my fabrics together in this shot (previously blogged about) to start to get an overall idea of the mix of color and value I wanted.
I sewed my first block together a couple weeks ago, using my own modified cutting instructions to help reduce the amount of scraps I would have with each block. It worked pretty well, but the trade-off for using no to low waste HSTs and Flying Geese is that you have to be a bit more diligent about your cutting since you are working with larger units of fabric. There isn't really a lot of room to make cutting mistakes with this pattern in the first place, so you can imagine that when consolidating as much of that fabric as you can into larger pieces, it means you have to be even a little more careful.
Here is my first finished block. I am hoping to have more time to work on this once I get a few other projects wrapped up. My goal this quarter is to make at least a few more blocks.