Saturday, April 28, 2012

Finished: "Have A Hoot" Vintage Owl Embroidered Cushion

Part of the 2nd Quarter FAL. My original post is here.

You may remember my little vintage embroidered owl that I designed and stitched a while back. Well I decided that the best way to finish this little guy was to sew him into a quilted cushion cover using some of my vintage sheet collection plus a couple new prints that feel kind of retro. I wanted to get this project finished in time to enter the Stumbles and Stitches Feather Your Nest Contest, so yesterday I buckled down and finished the quilting, final construction, and binding. I have to say that after making both my Hello Spring! cushion (which I also entered into the contest) and this project, I am starting to see how making pillows could become pretty addictive. ;)

"Have a Hoot" Cushion  

For the front of the cushion, I used a simple sawtooth block made up of HSTs to bracket the hand stitched portion. The blue floral print comes from a vintage sheet that I thrifted. I wasn't exactly sure how well it would sew-up considering that it's a high thread-count, cotton-poly mix; but the fiber content actually ended up not being an issue at all. It sewed and pressed beautifully! Since I don't think I will be washing this too often (and if I do it will be by hand), I am not too terrible concerned with uneven shrinking due to the different fiber compositions of the fabrics I used, but I do wonder if this has ever been an issue for anyone else? Do you sew with vintage sheets and have you used/ would you use cotton-poly mixes with regular quilting cottons?

"Have a Hoot" Cushion 

For the back, I made a simple envelope enclosure using the vintage sheet fabric plus a couple of stripes of my favorite herringbone print from Modern Meadow. I really lucked out that the green in the herringbone matches the green in the vintage sheet perfectly. Thanks Mr. Dewberry!

     "Have a Hoot" Cushion 

The yellow binding is also the same Heather Bailey print that I used for the star points on the front. It's just such a sunny, bright color that I couldn't resist using it for the binding as well!

"Have a Hoot" Cushion

Here's a closer shot of the embroidery (and quilting). I am currently working on a pattern for both the embroidery design and the cushion project, so hopefully I will have more to share on that soon. :)

UPDATE: Popular voting in the contest has started. If you feel so inclined, hop over here to Stumbles and Stitches to place your vote. My entries are numbers 43 & 35, but feel free to vote for your favorites. Thanks!

Linked Up With:
    Sew Happy Geek      Feather Your Nest with Stumbles & Stitches   Fresh Poppy Design
Pin It

22 comments:

  1. I wouldn't have thought that shrinkage would be a problem in previously washed items (especially sheets that would have had repeated hot washes in their previous lives) - I suppose it depends whether you pre-wash the new cottons?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a gorgeous cushion! Love when things just work together beautifully - the green matching the sheets. Like it's just meant to be ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So CUTE !! and I agree with Kristy, beautifully colour matched.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute and fun, Jenelle! Excellent fabric choices, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, he looks quite at home here, love the colours you chose to surround him

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know about poly cotton versus cotton but I wouldn't worry on a small item. Your cushion is gorgeous and the colours are lovely. Di xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. The owl is just too adorable! Lovely job on the pillow as well, the fabrics just seem to work with each other, even though they're very different. I've used cotton/poly bed sheets for quilt backs before with no problems at all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay, the owlie is back! It's turned out incredibly lovely, bright, and cheery, and I'd very much like to emulate it, so I'm thrilled you're working on something instructive/pattern-y. Great work!

    By the way, I've awarded you the Liebster Award if you don't mind. Details here: http://aquamareencrafting.blogspot.de/2012/04/liebster-blog.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your Owl embroidery and the pillow frames it wonderfully! So glad you are going to have a pattern!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I love everything about this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Jenelle, this pillow is so great, you did an amazing job with the embroidery. I can't stop staring at it. Your color choices are wonderful too! I love it. :)

    Thank you so much for participating in Feather Your Nest. It's been a treat to discover your blog through your entries! Do you know I'm in Seattle too?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How lovely! the embroidery is wonderful and you've chosen the perfect pillow fabrics and design

    ReplyDelete
  13. That owl is so cute! Such beautiful embroidery!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Adorable stitching and you finished it off so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That owl brings a smile to my face every time I look at him!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your embroidery is absolutely beautiful. Great fabrics for that pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Are you going to create a pattern for that cute little owl? I adore him!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love it! Beautiful work as always, Jenelle.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, beautiful! I can't wait until you release the embroidery pattern :-)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave me a comment. I'd love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...